Thursday, March 11, 2010

7 Weeks 5 Days

The first week of the pregnancy (week 5 technically, but it was the first week we knew about it) was the worst so far; she was vomiting every half an hour all day long like clockwork. She had intense pain in her abdomen and lower back. That week she barely got out of bed, except to go to the doctor to confirm the pregnancy. Two days later, we also solved the pain in her abdomen; a urinary tract infection. Since then, she has felt better; and still, any time I ask her how she is feeling, the inevitable answer is “like crap”.

Today, we got a call from that doctor; the infection is still there, which likely has something to do with the “like crap” answer. The good news; if it actually gets better this time, there is still the potential that she will start to feel a little better. I’m not sure clearing it up will have any effect on the nearly constant nausea (with medication) nor the body numbing tiredness that has her feeling like she’s sleeping her life away, but if I could actually see a smile or two from her I’d be a happy man.

This all has me feeling a little guilty; I kind of put her in this mess, and it was likely my idea (all right, it was my idea). But on top of that, I’m wondering about what my mother must have gone through, and feeling bad about that. For the first time in my life, I actually get why we have a Mother’s Day. So next time I talk to my mom, I’m going to apologize for the nine months of torture I likely put her through. And this May, even though the baby is still a long ways away, my poor wife gets to celebrate her first Mother’s day.


We never made it to Babies R Us, by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment